Friday, July 10, 2009

EU losers generation

What an unpleasant realisation, is this really me and my friends?
"Today's 'baby losers', as they are also known, are increasingly a minority in Europe. They are portrayed as well-educated but overqualified in some respects, which explains the seemingly never-ending unpaid intern phase many are forced to endure. They are the generation that passively boomerangs back to their parents' homes once they have run out of options and motivation. They are also the precarious generation suffering from the crisis of the welfare state, who will experience the effects of ageing and demographic change to the fullest in the course of their own lives. "
An entire generation summed up in a paragraph, and how non-optimistically;( There is as usual more to read but it was this particular excerpt that 'shook me'.
Other generations of course had it bad, the ones turned adults just as the war broke out naturally had it worse, but our future (as described in the above article) seems plain gloomy. It not only makes the today sound bad, it gives little hope of ever bouncing up and away from the current state. Very depressing. I have to say if the intention was to spear us up, motivate to do and stimulate to proactively steer circumstances towards the better - for me it had the opposite effect, just lay and do nothing, as it's never gonna get better, your efforts and hard work will be all in vain, might as well, not bother at all. brrr... not a feeling I like to have induced.
I like to believe that everything in nature finds it's balance, there are sinusoidal ups and downs, which are brought on by human impact or by nature itself, but in the long run, things bounce back and settle into 'norm'. This is not to say that I am a supporter of doing nothing because things 'settle on their own' (sometimes this settling can take a generation's lifetime, a century or more), just means I don't like 'scaring' with dark perspectives. Just a mistaken approach according to me. You can stimulate someone much more with a carrot than with a stick, or am I wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment